Tuesday, March 27, 2012

When other voices are drowned out

http://www.google.com/#q=when+other+voices+are+drowned+out&hl=en&prmd=imvnsu&source=lnms&tbm=nws&ei=PO9xT9mdLqfg2QXH56HhDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQ_AUoBA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6776a50ccb573219&biw=892&bih=653
re: When other voices are drowned out


In 2012, the equation of political donations with protected free speech is the law of the land. But that fails to define what is "free speech" by a long shot. If I am free to speak, but only where loud background noise drowns out my voice, has my right been denied? If I can use my voice but not a megaphone? If I can use my voice but not the airwaves? In 2012, the average voter doesn't read a daily newspaper; "Freedom of the Press" as our Forefathers knew it doesn't reach the electorate. In 2012 the average voter doesn't walk in the public square; "Freedom of Speech" as our forefathers knew it doesn't reach the electorate. In a world in which only the electronic media can reach 300million Americans, only the corporate media have meaningful freedom to speak to us. That freedom--only for the few--shouldn't be acceptable to the many.
Barry Haskell Levine

No comments: